01 July 2009

16 & Pregnant...

Okay so I know that originally I disagreed with Ashley's post about 16 and Pregnant but I must say after watching the last 3 shows I am going to agree. I do love the show, as Ashley said we love trashy t.v., but the show does NOT show how hard it is to be a mom, much less at 16. My friends at work and I have yet to understand why there are enough 16 year olds having children to make a show about it and to use different girls e.v.e.r.y.t.i.m.e. I don't get it. COME ON...that's horrible. Are the parents not doing their job in raising their kids or do their kids just really not give a shit about their lives and the lives they are creating?
The girls on the show A.L.W.A.Y.S. say the following "I just want him to grow up. I grew up because I had to." Okay, so this is obviously my opinion, but sweetheart if you were "grown up" you would TELL him to grow up or get out, you would not have gotten pregnant at 15 or 16 and you would take care of your own child without asking your parents to do it for you. They are NOT the ones who got pregnant. They are not the ones who had the "fun" so they do NOT need to raise the child.
A lady I work with, V, said her daughter is a nurse at one of the hospitals here in Hawaii and it's apparently a big thing for teenagers to be pregnant here. Well, V's daughter was making her rounds and was checking on one of these teenage mothers and asked her if she had fed her new child when the mother responded with "That's your job, I don't even know where to start on that." SERIOUSLY? You would THINK that if you were pregnant you would STUDY that kind of stuff or ASK before you HAD THE CHILD. What kind of life are these children going to have when their parents have NO CLUE about life? How are they to teach their children how to handle certain situations? I am not a mother so maybe I should look at this a little differently but I would think that as a mother you would have stronger feelings about this than I do...I don't know.
I'm just flabbergasted at this. Anyone else have an opinion they want to share?

1 comment:

Amber said...

Yeah, all of these shows don't really show all of the hard parts enough. They seem to make it a lil too glamorous.

We NEED more birth control education instead of abstinence only education. It won't change every teen, but I think it would help